Chuiko Institute of Surface Chemistry was founded on the 8th of May 1986 as the first academic institution in the Soviet Union to study fundamental and applied problems in chemistry, physics and technology of solid surfaces. It was based on the Surface Chemistry Section (two scientific departments and special design-technical bureau) of L.V. Pisarzhevskii Institute of Physical Chemistry of Academy of Sciences of UkrSSR. Prof. Aleksey Chuiko was the founder of the Institute which was transformed into a research organization well renowned in the world. Academician of NAS of Ukraine A. Chuiko was the head of the Institute since 1986 till 2006. Now the Institute is led by Prof. M. Kartel, an academician of NAS of Ukraine.
Fundamentals of modern surface chemistry of ultra-disperse solids, new types of functional nanomaterials, and nanomaterials for a promising direction in medical chemistry and nanomedicine are the most significant contributions of the Institute to world chemical science.
• Theory of chemical structure and reactivity of solid surfaces
• Medical-biological and biochemical problems of surfaces
• Physico-chemistry of surface and interfacial phenomena
• Chemistry, physics, and technology of nanomaterials.
A scientific journal "Chemistry, Physics and Technology of Surface" (quarterly) and a collection book of scientific papers "Surface" (annual) are issued by the Institute.
The Institute units 10 departments and 7 research laboratories with 215 employees (143 researchers, 18 doctors of sciences (DSc) and 80 candidates of sciences (PhD) among them). The training of highly qualified scientists is provided through postgraduate courses. The specialized councils at the Institute considers theses on the specialties: "Physics and Chemistry of Surfaces", "Physical Chemistry" and "Solid State Physics". Two pilot plants are subordinated to the Institute.
Investigations carried out at the Institute in different fields of surface chemistry have received wide international recognition that is evidenced by effective cooperation with numerous leading scientific centers in different countries - USA, UK, countries of Western and Eastern Europe, as well as China, Taiwan, South Africa. These joint researches were performed in the frames of a number of the projects and grants under different international programs and contracts with large foreign corporations and firms.
State Enterprise “Kalush Test Experimental Plant of Institute of Surface Chemistry of National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine” is specialized in production of pyrogenic silica dioxide of the standard grades as welt as it's a sole producer of silica dioxide modified forms in East Europe — advanced technology products, which are used in many industry branches.
The plant was founded in 1977 by National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine. Availability of test experimental complex enables us to carry out research and to introduce the technical developments in field of the special ultra dispersed nonorganic substances, which find the wide application in production of the modern composite materials, polymers, raw rubbers and gums.
1. Pirogenic non-modified silica of the grades: A-60, A-120, A-175, A-200, A-300, A-380 (high-quality fillers for rubber, plastic and leatherette, as thickeners of liquids (paints, lubricating greases, glues, proofing compounds and others), as carriers of acting substances (in medicine, perfumery), as anti-caking agents of loose materials as well as in radio electronics, textile and other industry branches).
2. Modified methyl silica of the grades: AM-1-175, AM-1-300, AMS, K-7-30 (filler for polymer compositions, thixotropic thickener for the grease lubricants, anti-caking agent for paintwork compounds in the different branch of industry).
3. Defoaming agent: MAS-200M (powder reagent for preparation a defoamer for drilling fluids, the water-resistant lubricants, the cleansers for the degreasing of the machine and mechanism parts, the purifier of water from mineral oils).
4. Filler AMD (AMD-1, AMD-2) is the high-dispersed silica dioxide, modified by depolymerizer D-4 (fillers for polymer systems, for the thickening of paintwork materials, thread lubricant and other materials).
5. Fillers ADEG (ADEG-175, ADEG-300) is product of chemical interaction of silica with ethylene glycol (thixotropic fillers for polyester furniture lacquers in wood and furniture industry. Introduction of this addition into paintwork compounds enables to get the high-quality products with flat mat film, without spots, to increase a speed of insiccation and to decrease an adhesiveness of surfaces).